Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Reunion

Okay, so I got to go on a trip without my husband and kids. We only planned it that way because we knew the kids would be in school and it would be less expensive as well. The trip was to go see my sister, Colleen Marie, and her wonderful family that live near Seattle. Also, arriving would be my brother, Randy, coming from Texas. Since the middle of July, my mother has been staying with my sister to help out because my sister has breast cancer. Her situation needed some TLC so since my mom had planned on coming this last weekend she changed her ticket to arrive earlier during the month of July.

It was a great reconnection of sorts.! My brother and sister hadn't physically seen each other for about 12 years, so there was some good bonding to catch up on! We talked, we laughed, we ate, we laughed some more! And I'll tell more later of some juicy details of the trip. All in all, the trip was wonderful, short lived, but wonderful!

My eyes were opened to the battle my sister is trying to fight with this horrible cancer that invades her body. She has the heart of a lion, not wanting anything to keep her from her family and the people that she loves. Her husband, Dave, is a saint! He works hard to make her comfortable, feel safe, and is so compassionate! I've learned many lessons just by watching his example. Cancer is a horrible monster, but I still see the strong spirit in my sister that will not go down without a fight. I pray and hope that the treatments she's taking will provide her life with the quality we all want for her...healthy!

This is my lovely sister and her wonderful husband. This was on the bus to go see an awesome football game...but I'll post about that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly love reading your blog, Debbie. You express yourself so beautifully and your sense of humor has had me laughing at many of your entries. This one, however, has me writing through tears at your kind and loving descriptions of our visit. It was so bitter sweet having you here hanging out in our pjs, playing games, talking, laughing and crying together. I so wish we had more than just a few short days. I miss you more than ever now and will cherish that weekend forever as one of my favorite of all time. Living for the moment and not taking each other for granted is probably the biggest lesson I've learned from cancer, so I want to thank you for being my baby sister, Debbie Sue, and for making me laugh and feel loved. I couldn't ask for more. Well, maybe a few more days with you, but that's not much!! I love you with all my heart and am so glad you finally came into our family when you did. You saved me from having to run away from home!! Can't wait to see you again and will take to you soon.