Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A cure for hiccups

As a youngster I was frequently plagued by the hiccups. During the day, while eating, even while sleeping. And I didn't just get little hiccups, they were the kind that shakes your whole body and makes you hurt kind of hiccups. I would often cry after a while. I detest hiccups still to this day.

Now, since I had the hiccups so often, I was given plenty of opportunities to test solutions. And I've tried several. Here's a few, hold your breath; hyperventilate yourself; drink through a straw; swallow a whole spoonful of peanut butter; swallow water with your head upside down; have someone scare you; and the very unpleasurable, drink a concoction of vinegar, mustard and sprite while holding your nose (I don't recommend this to anyone,......EVER!)

I continued to get the hiccups into adulthood and got a pretty good handle on it. I usually tried this breathing thing and most of the time it worked unless I was going on a date and then of course, it didn't. Even after I got married, John can even attest to me crying one night because I was so tired and hiccups were keeping me awake.

Well, pregnancy not only transfers some of your DNA to your offspring, but apparently for me, I passed on my hiccups to my children in the womb. I rarely get hiccups anymore, and my kids had them all the time in my tummy.

We have a new solution, though. The first time I tried this, I was amazed how quickly it worked. So, I am not guaranteeing that it will work for you or your kids, but it's worth a try.

Take a paper towel, preferably a thick one. Fold it until it just fits over the edges of a plastic cup. Fill the cup with cold water, put the paper towel over the top and try to suck the water through the paper towel. Keep doing this until the water is all gone or you have to take a breath.



Good luck!

1 comment:

Cherene said...

The only thing we've found that works is scaring someone really bad. Chuck loves to do that, but it ends up causing lots of yelling and crying, so I'm done with that cure. I'm excited to try this one--sounds much less traumatic! Thanks for sharing!