Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool's days gone by

I like April Fool's Day. My sister's birthday is on April Fool's Day. I like a good practical joke, too. Those two put together make for a ripe opportunity to have some fun.

My husband and I were recently reminiscing of the good 'ol college days when we used to pull practical jokes on friends and roommates. So, with it being April Fool's, I though I would share the joke we played on John's roommate a long time ago in a college town, far, far away.

John and I like to tease other people as well as each other and so when we came up with an idea together to pull on his roommates, it seemed to just fall right into place. We had gotten officially engaged the day before...literally, the day before. Obviously, we were a little smoochy, but not to the point of making others sick...or were we?

Anyway, I had some time in between classes and headed to his apartment (in Provo, by the way) to spend some time together. I was talking with him how it was April Fool's Day and I hadn't thought of anything good to do as a joke. After a minute or two we had a scheme worked out. We only had a little bit of time, but I ran back to my apartment and got a set of extra clothes and proceeded to drop them on the floor, the couch, and the doorknob to John's room (that's where I hung the bra). We left the door to his room open only enough to barely see in, and when you looked you could see his bed where we put a body pillow under the covers and a blonde wig (John had blonder hair back then, and more hair)at the head of the bed. We left the radio on in his room playing some light music. Then, at that point we both had to leave to go to class.

Not real funny yet, I know.

John had a roommate named Jon. He was a very nice guy, a good guy, a guy that would never do wrong things, type of guy. Anyway, while we were at class, Jon came home and saw the clothes and followed the trail to John's room, peeked in, and probably gasped. (I'm trying to recall how he told the story back to us, but keep in mind this was 16 years ago. I might have to take some liberties, as well, to make the story more interesting.) Either at the same time he arrived home or shortly after, his girlfriend arrived. He hid the clothes so she would not see them. He became so distraught at the thought of what we were "doing" in John's room, so he asked his girlfriend if she would pray with him. They prayed and yet we "stayed" in the bedroom, quietly of course. He got out his guitar and started playing, probably in the hopes that we would hear and "refrain" from our activities. He said he played for about 15 minutes and then told his girlfriend how sad he was at our choices.

Are ya laughing yet?

Only a short time later, John and I walked in the front door (fully clothed) and his roommate looked shocked, to say the least. He got all tongue-tied while he pointed toward the bedrooms and then breathed a huge sigh of relief that we were standing in front of him instead of "doing" something else. He said he didn't dare open the door to the bedroom any more because he didn't want to embarass anyone. He was relieved and yet perturbed at the same time.

I love how remembering that event still makes me chuckle today. Now, you got any good practical jokes? Share.

2 comments:

Saimi said...

I was in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by, hope you don't mind.

That was a very funny and clever joke! HA!! I love the whole wig and body pillow set up...

Mary said...

Ha! I remember that.