Monday, September 14, 2009

What's your maiden name?

Ok, I'll try to be succinct with this funny story, but not leaving out important details.

Just this last May we made a trip to Utah for a family wedding. Whenever we are in Utah we try to get together with John's buddies from high school, Chris and Stanton. We've stayed close over the many years.

Chris had been divorced for a few years and said that for our get together he was bringing a friend. MMMMmmmm, interesting. We found Janelle (the friend) to be absolutely delightful!! She was full of ideas, personality and opinions. (It is necessary to stand on your own when these boys are in a room together.)




Here we are at lunch on that very day. We are having a superb time. It was during a bathroom break that Janelle told me that she and Chris had only been dating a mere 2 and a half weeks. Granted they knew each other for 2 years in the same PhD Nursing program.

We continued talking back at Stanton's house on the back porch. Catching up, laughing, getting to know Janelle a bit more. When out of my mouth came the following sentence..."So, what was your maiden name?" At the very moment it slipped out I knew that I my brain and mouth were not working in sync. She had eluded to many points that I knew she had never been married. What was I thinking? Needless to say, everyone got a very good laugh about it, and I think Janelle handled it very well in telling me what her current and maiden name were. And the moment was relived when Stanton's wife got home later.

Now, jumping ahead to the first weekend in September.

Here is Janelle and Chris at our next get-together, they look pretty sweet on each other, right?


Here is Stanton and his wife LaRayne at the same little get-together, which happened to be the night before...



THE WEDDING!!!!



John captured this precious moment between the couple on the temple grounds of the Oquirrh Mountain temple. Sweet, huh?



Here is Chris and Janelle with his 2 children. They make a nice little family.




And what's a wedding without some cake, which was absolutely delicious, by the way.
What I just realized, in hindsight, is my ability to predict the future. I just need to work on my timing. I should have waited until after they were married to ask her maiden name, right?
It all turned out very well in the end.
I have a feeling they won't let me live it down, though.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Heehee! I like that story! I think you should look into the psychic hotline...you could make some bucks.