Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Sweet Sister


As some of you may know, my sister passed away on September 17th. This passing is bittersweet. She battled breast cancer since May 2006. She is an example of fighting with all you've got.


Colleen Marie Hahn Newton was born April 1, 1959. She was the oldest of 3 brothers and 1 sister (myself). She is survived by her husband, Dave Newton, and 4 sons; Chris, Skylar, Sean and Casey. They are some amazing men!


She had an incredible affect on people. She always asked questions to find out more about...everything and everyone. She really loved life. She liked to take great pictures of flowers, people, art,, scenery. She was very creative and artistic, she had a unique sense of style.


She won't get a chance to see her boys get married or have children, but she left a wonderful legacy because they are great young men.


While she was 13 years older than me, she loved being a sister and mother-figure. We missed out on sharing clothes and talking about boyfriends, but we shared many stories and struggles as mothers. She was sincere about her interest in me and my family.


She was one of those that when she called to talk it wasn't just for a minute or two, it was more like an hour or two. And we could easily laugh, talk, cry and share together.


I will miss her terribly! She was my only sister.


I am relieved she doesn't have to suffer any longer with her physical body, it was too small to hold her strong spirit, anyway.


Until we meet again, Colleen Marie, I love you.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so sorry, Debbie! :( Beautiful post.