Saturday, March 14, 2009

Locks of Love

A few weeks ago I asked Sidney if she would consider cutting her hair. We've been good about trimming it, but it seems to reach a certain length and stops growing. So, when she said she would think about it, I decide to see what it takes to donate to locks of love. It's really pretty simple...you can do it yourself or have it done at any hair cut place or salon.

So, I asked Sidney to look at other girls her age and check out which length of hair she might like. She told me that she liked it "shoulder length". Well, everyone has an idea in their head of what they think shoulder length is, so I was thinking of my idea and told her that if she wanted it that way then there probably wouldn't be enough to donate to lock of love, but that it would be okay, she could have her hair any length she wanted.

(This is just before we left)

We decided last Saturday that we had time and she was ready to get it cut. We went someplace close to home and put her name on the list. When the lady was ready and asked what we were doing with her hair, I said that Sidney had wanted to donate to locks of love, but that she also wanted it shoulder length. Then for the first time Sidney points to her neck, just barely lower than her jaw and says "Yea, I want it just above my shoulders." That surprised me because then she had plenty of hair to donate. The lady took her back and measured it, combed it, put an elastic in it.......and then cut it!



At first, Sidney said she didn't notice anything different. Not until the lady was done cutting and let her see the back of her hair with a mirror did she seem surprised.


Now, she loves it and it takes less time to take care of.

I think she looks adorable!!! But then again...I'm biased.

The bonus is that the hair cut place didn't charge us because she was donating her hair...who knew?

4 comments:

Turley Family said...

Very Cute! I noticed her hair on Sunday was a lot shorter. I told her it was cute, but she didn't mention that she donated it to locks of love! Very Awesome!

once upon a poppy said...

so cute! i'm all about the short hair!

Brian said...

Looks great Sidney!!

camran said...

Yea Sidney! My Sydney has grown her hair out and donated it twice now, once in 2nd grade and again in 4th. She is sporting a sassy short 'do now and I am loving it! Mya just did the same with hers about a month ago - she is loving it short (again, so I am ;) but she also got some little whispy bangs and has decided that she does NOT like those! Your short hair is SO cute, I love how it frames your face! You go girl!