Monday, March 22, 2010

Keep it G-rated

Let me start this off with a preface. Yesterday, I was sitting down with my son, looking through his baby scrapbook as part of an assignment. On one of the pages I had written a short synopsis of the details surrounding his birth. They go something like this. "My water broke early, we got to the hospital and a little while later his heart rate dropped and the nurse checked to find that his hand had gone through the cervix. The doctor was paiged and he called for a C-section. Hayden was born at 8:46 am with a beautiful round head! We were not surprised he came early, but that he weighed so much that early!" (He weighed 8lbs 15oz and was 19 days early.)

Hayden asked, "Mom, what's a cervix?"

I responded with just the basics. "It's the part of mom's body where the baby comes out. Usually babies come out head first, definetely not hand first. So, they made a cut at the bottom of my belly and pulled you out of there."

He seemed satisfied. We moved on to other events in his life that were in the scrapbook.

Now, fast forward to today after school.

"Mom, I told some kids in my class how I almost died at birth because my hand went through the cervix." Hayden exclaimed.

"Really?" I replied.

"Oh, but don't worry mom. I totally kept it G-rated."

Seriously, I can't make this stuff up!

2 comments: