Thursday, April 30, 2009

Embracing the Nerd within.

I've accepted the fact for some time that I'm a nerd. And I'm perfectly fine with that. Sometimes I venture out and try to be a little girly and occasionally trendy, but for the most part, I'm nerdy. I love to read. I love to learn new things (not all things, but things that interest me). My husband (a fellow nerd) and I have taught our children that the best place to sit in a classroom is at the front. (They don't always get to sit there since the teachers make the ultimate decisions). I know more than the average person about Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings and even Star Trek. I am pretty frugal (I didn't realize this was a nerdy trait, but was led to believe that it is considered as such). I was in the marching band in high school AND in college. (Apparently this is an automatic portal into nerdiness). (Bear in mind that I did not play an instrument in the band, but was on the flag line both places...some say that's bordering nerd, not automatic). I only enjoy certain sports. (If you are a huge fan of any major sport, it cancels out many nerdy qualities). And most importantly, I LOVE to play games; board, card, dice, almost anything on my weekends, weeknights...anytime, really. (I know, I know, it's like smearing nerd on nerd).

Anyway, I have completed submitted myself to being a nerd. I hope all those of you who were wary of it before...now it's out in the open. Tolerance is the key. Besides, you may catch me in a moment of complete normalcy. I just didn't want to think I was one of the "cool" people.

Now, anybody up for a game of Carcassone?

3 comments:

JAM said...

Becasue you just outed me as being a nerd too, it gives new meaning to the phrase "nerd on nerd."

Kaylee said...

ME, ME, Me...no wait, I'd rathe play Catan or Ticket to Ride!! Guess I'm as big as a nerd as you. Good thing we stick together!

INVICTE said...

I think I'm half nerd and half cool, but maybe it's really mostly nerd and wannabe cool.